Vienna patholinguistics discussion class November 9th 2020 Pléh
- Comparison of aphasia with other disorders of speech Sophie Samek shall start a presentation
- Rule debates summary
- key issues concept and role of rules in modern linguistics
- what is the connectionist challenge
- In what ways is Pinker and Clahsen a compromise?
- Why is morphology so crucial in the debates?
- How does a rules plus items system work in morphology?
Procedural brain and language
- The origin of knowing what and knowing how. Ryle and Polányi. Tacit knowledge.
- The procedures – knowledge duality in the visual brain.
- Extensions to language. (Jeannerod and Marslen-Wilson) b
- The system prosed by Ullmann. Skill organization, language. and sucortical centers
Modularity and phrenology
- Relate Fodor and later imaging visions of the brain
- Why and how is Fodor a not radical modularist?
- Modularity versus modularization